To my second love, the one that really matters in this book of mine,
I want to thank you. There are so many things that the first love gets credit for, but you deserve some recognition, too. You made me believe in love again after my heart was crushed into a million tiny pieces. You made me laugh again. You made me stop believing that all guys treated girls badly because of how you cared for me. For that, I am eternally grateful for you. I know it wasn't easy. I know I'm hard to love. But you did it. You pushed through the walls I used to protect myself because I had been hurt so badly before. You were patient, caring, understanding, and protective every minute of every day. You brought me so much happiness that I never thought I would feel again. For everything you thought went unnoticed, they didn't. They're right here – they've been right here, in my heart, in my head all along.
Thank you for...
1. Holding me when I would sob inconsolably about the past and another person who hurt me.
2. Understanding that when certain songs played I just had to change the radio no matter how abrupt it was or if you liked the song.
3. Showing me how I actually deserve to be treated.
4. Being patient when I doubted you at times, only because my first love caused me to have those insecurities and doubts.
5. Giving me new days and traditions to embrace and love.
6. Proving to me that I was actually enough just the way I was.
7. Encouraging me when I wanted to try something new and not trying and control me.
8. Acting proud to be my boyfriend.
9. Giving me space and time when I needed it, instead of accusing me.
10. Fighting for me when I shut down and shut you away.
11. Buying me flowers on no occasion instead of covering up when you cheated on me.
12. Letting me be sad when I needed to.
13. Taking silly pictures with me and putting them up on social media instead of hiding the fact that you have a girlfriend.
14. Letting me pick the movies every other time.
15. Encouraging me to be friends with other guys and whoever I wanted to be friends with.
16. Accepting that I am broken.
17. Loving me exactly the way I am.
I won't say first is the worst, but with you, I will say second is the best. Thank you for teaching me so much about myself and love. Thank you for teaching me about growth, forgiveness, and accepting change. Thank you for coming into my life when I needed a second chance. Lastly, thank you for making me happy in so many new ways, bug.
To the moon and back,
Your first love that loves having you as her second love...