Today was the worst day of my life. I sit here not knowing if my dog is going to live and frankly while I don’t blame you completely, there is a hell of a lot you could have done to prevent this horrible situation.
Today our dog got into a pack of Icebreakers gum – a Hershey product. Within one hour our sweet two-year-old lab was vomiting, seizing and had lost all function to walk. The deadly ingredient: Xylitol.
After being rushed to the emergency veterinary clinic and met in the parking lot by a stretcher and two nurses, our dog is stable but waiting for the results of a liver test. Did you know this ingredient can causes liver failure in dogs? Do you have children? Right now my child is at the mercy of your product because you didn’t care to put a label warning naive dog owners of the risks involved in having your product in their home. Dogs are part of people’s family, anyone who has an animal would understand that. Am I to believe not one member of your Board of Directors has a pet at home? Your CEO? Descendants of Milton Hershey himself?
How dare ignore the damage that you cause to families on a regular basis.
You say on your website “For 120 years, Hershey has been committed to good business by operating fairly, ethically and sustainably to make a positive impact on society.” This is bullshit. Manufacturing products that have deadly consequences to pets with no warning is not fair or ethical. This is like cigarette manufactures not including labels warning pregnant woman of the harmful effects of smoking.
I write this letter praying more than I ever have in my 28 years that my dog is alive in 72 hours. No one should have to go through this.
A warning label, that’s all I ask.